My exploits abroad

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Giving thanks and Market shopping

I have just returned from the awesome Portobello Market in Notting Hill.

This week has been a pretty sweet one.
Update on Timing- I'm going to Paris in a week, Anna comes 2 weeks from tomorrow, and in 22 days I'll be on my way home. Its really crazy how much time has flown.

Monday and Tuesday were very chill. Just hung out and worked. On tuesday, classes were meant to be cancelled during the afternoon, which is when my only class is. But I, like most of the people in my class, assumed that wouldn't apply to us because our teacher is a little clueless when it comes to things like that, so litterally over half the class showed up anyway. Instead of leaving after 15 min like a normal college class would do, we decided it would be better to stay and work. It was the weirdest thing, because no one in the class was like, no thats a bad idea lets just leave. We sat around and worked on our pieces for our final, and basically had class. I only stayed for half of it, but it was just really suprising that people would do that, because usually kids here are less apt to do anything than even kids back home. WEIRD. After I left, I walked to Primark and did just a little bit of shopping. I bought a really great jacket, some socks, a hat, and some flowers for my hairs. All for only £13. What a deal. Then I grabbed the rest of what I needed for thanksgiving and headed home.

That night, Cate's partner for acting's show was opening/being preformed/idk and so we decided it would be fun to go, and see what student work here was like. It was in a bar on campus. I literally did not understand anything. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. All the actors did was sit around and drink wine and yell alot. and half the time it wasn't loud enough. It was set up like a cabaret, so there were lots of different pieces. Some were really good, but as a whole, the show made literally no sense. Apparently, even Cate's partner, who directed and put it all together, didn't even understand it. Weird.....

Wed, I slept really late, then went to class. After class, Cate and I stopped by Raquel's for a few min, then headed into the city to see another show. It was at a place called the Arcola Theatre. We had a blast (NOT!) getting there, but made it about 20 min early, in time to actually check out the space before we went in. It was just like I imagine my theatre to be like. There was an organic bar with lots of cool thrift store places to sit. There were three different spaces to preform. The one we were in was really tiny, and like the blackbox at Winthrop, just smaller. it held about 40 people, and was about half full. The show, A Real Human Person Who Cares and All That, was fantastico. Going made me really excited about the future I hope I'm going to have.

On Thursday, it was Thanksgiving. In protest of it not being a national holiday in the UK, I skipped my class, and slept nice and late, and worked a little on my script. Then Cate and I headed to Clapham to make some dina. Dan was cooking the turkey, so we made some other sweet dished. Kim came after class, and made some REALLY awesome mac and cheese. I made homemade mashed potatoes and broccoli cassorole. Cate made rosemary roots. It was a FANTASTIC dinner, especially considering we were not in America, or with our real families.


After we ate, we played some Taboo, then headed home to end the day in a food coma.

On Friday, we went back to Clapham, ate leftovers and played with duct tape, and watched Modern Family.

Today, I went to the market, as I mentioned earlier. It was sooo fun and hip and awesome. If I lived here, my entire wardrobe would come from it. I got a really hippie vest and a sweater and some sick earings, and herbal tea.


Then I came home and vedged for a while, planning to go have more thanksgiving. However, it was pouring rain, and I litterally waited on the bus for 20 minutes. One that I should have had to wait 2 min on. Seriously it was horrible. So, Cate and I decided to eat dinner and watch elf, and are not listening to sappy Christmas music and missing home.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, do they have thanksgiving at the same time as in America?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Followers